Monday, August 23, 2010

Weekend at the Fair

The weekend of the County Fair echos back so many fun and wonderful memories from my own and Luke's own childhood that we both have wanted our children to have that same experience.
The whole carnival atmosphere and the transformation of a normally empty field into a kaleidoscope of flashing lights and the sounds of squeals and screams from carnival riders always sent a happy thrill through my body.
I loved the story Charlotte's Web and I can remember each fall looking in the animal pens for the spider webs and secretly hoping that I'd see Charlotte dangling from her beautiful web. I also looked for Templeton the rat. I hate mice and rats, but any rat that could be as interesting as Templeton could not be all that bad.



My kids look as much forward to the petting zoo as the rides. Each year these adorable baby animals are led to the children's penned-in area to be the next victims of some small overly-zelous grabbing hands. As an adult, I have visions of a happy little horror house for the poor tiny victims of too tight hugs. A fuzzy little slaughter house comes somewhat sadistically to mind.



The older ones understand that you cannot grab and hug and I'm sure the little chicks appreciate that fact.


Then.....they meet the younger ones who squeal in delight and grab at the the rapidly escaping little fuzz balls. Luke and I had a good laugh when we saw them. Good laugh as in "hehe, the poor little creatures know that the only way to survive is to run and hide from 'happy little hands'."

This year there was something new to interact with...a huge life-sized plastic milking cow that was missing 2 udders. Having experienced the joys of a jumpy goat, our children were delighted to give it a go at a cow that couldn't nip or kick them.


No technique needed here folks. Just grab and squeeze! Grab and Squeeze! She doesn't even try to knock over the bucket!


Good Lookin' was pretty darn proud of himself when he discovered that he could also aim the fake udders at unsuspecting victims that surrounded him.


Last but not least, you gotta have the farm equipment to climb all over. It was a hot and merry weekend folks and we are already early looking forward to next year.
We might even have an animal or two of our own to show!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I love to read your posts. You are such a vivid writer, and can take myself to exactly what you are describing! We missed the fair this year....we've missed a lot lately. :)