Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sensory Time

Another blog that I love called Living Creatively had a post about Sensory Bowls.

She had filled some simple plastic bowls with buttons and other small objects and buried them in rice. She gave them to her boys for sensory play and I thought I'd try it with my youngest two. Her youngest are a little bit older than my two youngest1 and I wasn't so sure of the mess it would create, but it was worth it.

We've been stuck at home a lot this summer due to illness and it's been hovering around 100-105 degrees for the last week. It's just too hot to even do our normal outdoor play that's kept them occupied all summer.




The pictures loaded in reverse, so you'll have to scroll to the bottom to see how it all started (calmly). Good Lookin' joined Nater Mater in the play and proceeded to dump the entire bowl on the floor and swish it around after Nater Mater had already been playing quietly (by himself) for half an hour.


Nater Mater was just as fascinated with scooping the rice and buttons back and forth between the bowls. He (even though he is the youngest) made the least mess. Go figure.


It only took me half an hour to vacuum up the grains of rice that they'd traced into and throughout the living room. Next time I think I'll have them play on the front porch.










1 comment:

Wendy said...

That's awesome! Glad you tried it and had fun!!
Yeah, that's one of those CLOSE supervision kinds of activities. ;-) The last time we used our sensory bowls, I brought them out to the sidewalk. Less clean up for me! I had the little boys sweep it off afterwards (in the Name of Montessori Learning- ha!)
I think the sensory activities are soothing, and the scooping is great for motor skills and independence.