Sunday, August 12, 2012

Hectic

Life's a little hectic right now.
It's August and we are gearing up for school, County Fair, back to babysitting and this year homeschooling.
I feel like I need about 10 clones of myself over the next 2 weeks just to keep it all straight.
But, on the brighter side, have you been enjoying the Olympics?
Luke told me this week he feels like an Olympic Widower. My children are either Olympiholics or Olympic Orphans...depending on what event is being broad casted.
Good Lookin' has asked for 10 days now why he hasn't seen Kenya. He has repeatedly asked me to show him where Kenya is on the map that we have taped to our basement wall. A couple of nights ago he was rewarded with seeing David Rudisha set a new World Record and win Olympic Gold in the men's 800. He was curled up on the couch clutching his paper flag that he has so carefully kept and biting his fingers watching the Kenyan sprint ahead of everyone else.
That night when I tucked him in bed he sleepily whispered, "mommy, when I grow up I will be black, move to Kenya and run like him." I smiled, told him if he worked hard he could maybe go to the Olympics one day and kissed him goodnight. I didn't have the heart to tell him that his hopelessly white skin will always be white. I love the Olympics for all it's exposure to other cultures and the dreams it can inspire us to dream.

No comments: